Top 9 Benefits of Warm Lemon Water in The Morning
Lately, my diet has not been spotless, to say the least. This year is off to a good start, therefore i want to really get back on the health waggon to improve my mood and energy levels. I feel like my bad diet has finally caught up with me and it's time to fix it.
This week i have been waking up feeling really sluggish, unmotivated and tired. Really, really tired. And i have tried to catch up on sleep but i realised i need to cleanse myself from the inside out. I need a detox!
Before moving to Milan, as some of you may know, i had a pretty solid morning routine that gave me a lot of energy to start my day properly. Needless to say that as i moved out i gave in to the excitement of being in a new city, new friends, and a lot of nightlife to discover all over again. This led to late nights, little sleep and poor food choices in the middle.
Now that i can say i have finally settled in my new apartment, i can start fresh and rebuild a solid morning routine. In the past few months, i have added and changed some parts of what could potentially be added to my healthy routine.
Let's start from the very beginning: waking up. As soon as i wake i drink 0,5 litre of water and it really helps my body to wake up faster. More on that in a future post. Another thing i do is drink warm water with lemon juice as soon as i wake up, after my 0,5 litre of water. Warm lemon water really helps to cleanse the body and overall feeling better. All you have to do is squeeze 1/2 a lemon juice in a warm (not boiling!) glass of water. To drink right after waking up and before eating anything. Mind the water temperature, because if the water is boiling or really really hot, the benefits of the juiced lemon will go to waste.
Top 9 Benefits of Warm Lemon Water in The Morning:
- Aids Digestion. Warm lemon water, thanks to its lemon juice, flashes out toxins from your body. Its digestive properties help relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as bloating and heartburn and overall help with bowel movements.
- Cleanses Your System. Due to its diuretic properties, warm lemon water helps flush unwanted materials out of your system at a faster rate than regular water. The citric acid helps maximise enzyme function, which aids in the detoxification of the body.
- Boosts Immune System. Lemons are rich in Vitamin C, which is known to help fight colds. Also, it keeps the flu at bay which is always a thing.
- Balances pH Levels. Warm lemon water, thanks to the alkalizing properties of lemon, helps to remove uric acid in the joints, which is one of the main causes of pain and inflammation.
- Clears Skin. Vitamin C and other antioxidants help decrease wrinkles and blemishes, also the alkaline in lemons helps kill bacterias responsible for acne.
- Energizes and Improves Your Mood. This probably has to be my favourite benefit! Lemon has negatively charged ions which give your body energy when they enter your digestive tract. The smell of lemon also brightens your mood and clears your mind, reducing depression and anxiety.
- Promotes Healing. The ascorbic acid in lemons promotes wound healing and the maintenance of healthy bones and cartilage.
- Freshens Breath. And also helps with tooth pain and gingivitis. Be aware that citric acid can erode tooth enamel so It is best to brush your teeth first or to wait a significant amount of time after drinking warm lemon water.
- Aids Weight Loss. The abundance of pectin fibre in lemons helps fighting hunger cravings and studies have proved that a more alkaline diet helps lose weight faster.